43 civil and human rights organizations (including Media Alliance) called on Congress today to protect marginalized communities from digital discrimination.
Harmful practices noted in the letter included deceptive voter suppression, housing and employment discrimination in online advertising, and exploitative notice-and-choice practices.
The letter went on to state that any new privacy legislation needs to incorporate these principles:
- Stop high-tech profiling;
- Ensure fairness in automated decisions;
- Preserve constitutional principles;
- Enhance individual control of personal information; and
- Protect people from inaccurate data.